How to yoni steam – Detailed DIY yoni steam instructions
We believe that in order for the treatment to be practiced safely, the water and herbs should always be at least 16 inches from the vulva, and that the steam should rise naturally without a consistent heat source. Following are detailed step-by-step instructions for a nurturing and safe DIY yoni steaming experience at home:
- In a medium-covered pot (not plastic), pour 8 cups of water (preferably purified water).
- Place one handful of fresh herb(s) or 1/4 cup dried into the water. Do not add or use “essential oils” as they are too strong and may burn sensitive genital tissue.
- Bring water to a soft boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, leave the lid on, and steep for another 5 minutes with the lid on.
- It is very important to test the temperature of the steam before using it. If it is too hot, wait 15 seconds and test it again until it feels comfortably warm to steam with.
- Pour 4 cups (half) of water into the bowl you have placed in your toilet (wait…toilet…what?!…yes, that is a practical DIY solution if you don’t have a special yoni steam seat).
- Wave your hand 8-10 inches over the herbal water to make sure it is not too hot.
- Remove your underwear and sit on the seat above the steaming water.
- Drape a large blanket or sheet around your waist down to the floor making sure no steam escapes.
- Make sure you keep yourself warm, keeping something on your feet (socks, slippers) and neck. You do not want any cold to get into your body while you are trying to warm it.
- You should feel a warm, rolling heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- When the steam dies down, dump the water into the toilet. Starting with step #4 begin the second dosage. If it has cooled too much, reheat but test again before sitting over the steam.
How often should you yoni steam?
As part of an overall self-care regime, we recommend that women steam 2 to 3 times per month, always during weeks in which you are not menstruating. Women who suffer from pain, bloating or exhaustion during menstruation should steam two to three times within the week before menstruation.
For the postpartum, we recommend waiting until your lochia has passed and any external wounds have closed before beginning to steam — usually just a few days. You can then steam 2-3 times per week for 3-4 weeks to facilitate healing and toning of the uterus and vagina.
Is vaginal steaming safe? Who should not do a vaginal steam?
Yoni steaming is generally safe for any healthy woman. However, there are certain circumstances when you should avoid vaginal steaming.
- Yoni Steaming Herbs are not to be used by women who are trying to get pregnant or who are already pregnant.
- We do not recommend using Yoni Steaming Herbs if you have an IUD.
- Women who have any type of internal infection (cervical, uterine or ovarian inflammation), or a fever, are encouraged not to steam until the symptoms have passed.
- Women also should not steam while menstruating or when open sores or blisters are present.
Are you ready to deeply nurture your sacred portal with a yoni steam? Try the Devi Steam® proprietary blend consisting of the most beneficial organic steaming herbs for a healthy and happy yoni.