How to choose your first Yoni Egg
If after reading this you are still unsure where to start, or you are buying a Yoni Egg as a gift for someone else in your life, we suggest two options:
- Ideally a set of 3 yoni eggs – Large, medium and small all in Nephrite Jade, or variety set of 3 different crystals.
- If you need to pick one, let it be Nephrite Jade, medium and drilled – this is our most popular yoni egg and it’s an excellent choice for beginners.
Here we answer the 3 main questions women have when choosing their first Yoni Egg along with our recommendations for new users.
Yoni Eggs mainly come in 3 sizes: Large, Medium and Small.
Large is typically 35×50 mm, medium 30x43mm and small 25x35mm. It might sound a little counterintuitive – when using Yoni Egg most of the time we will start our practice with a larger egg and as our dexterity grows, we will go down in size. The larger the egg the easier it is for us to feel and for the muscles to grip it. Although the larger the egg the heavier it is, so it gets harder to keep it in for long periods of time. If you cannot keep the egg in at first, do not get discouraged, it is completely normal for beginners – start practicing while laying down or sitting up.
Rule of thumb
Most practitioners can start with the medium size egg. It does not matter if you are a tall woman or petite – most likely with the medium egg will work best but after a month of practice you still feel like a larger egg might be better for you, then you might choose to purchase a larger one. Come back to your medium size yoni egg in 2 weeks or when you feel comfortable with the larger egg.
If you had a baby or went through menopause, or are simply not sure what size to start with, you might prefer a set of 3 different size eggs. With a set, you can start with a large egg and gradually work your way down in size, or use different sizes on different days.
Important – Do not practice with a Yoni Egg if you are pregnant or right after childbirth. A Yoni egg can be a wonderful practice to start postpartum, just make sure to consult your doula, midwife or doctor before you start.
Small eggs are not for petite women, they are recommended for advanced practitioners who desire to experiment with different sizes of the egg, and sometimes small eggs are being used in pairs. The smaller the egg the more muscle dexterity is required to feel and to hold it inside.
The small egg is also a good choice for you if you already experience excessive tightness in your pelvic floor. In that case, yoni egg practice can help you, but it needs to be approached with caution. We recommend getting in touch with a pelvic care specialist or yoni egg instructor who will help create a practice designed specifically for you that addresses excessive tension in the pelvic floor. Any exercises that involve squeezing and pulling in are a no-no for you at first, the focus needs to be on relaxing.
Yoni egg practice helps us to get in touch with our inner guidance and build trusting relationship with our body. You can start communicating with your body even before you have the egg. Our large yoni eggs are 35×50 mm,
Choosing a crystal is partially so wonderful and fun because the answer of what crystal to chose is already within you. Some people chose crystals based solely on their intuition.
Yoni Eggs are made from many varieties of beautiful and exotic gemstones. Many are safe to wear inside, but please know that not every type of crystal is safe to be worn inside the yoni, especially for prolonged periods of time.
Traditionally in Taoist teachings 3 types of stones are used. Women would start with healing Jade, then introduces Black Obsidian to work with and integrate her ‘shadow,’ and finally when she feels ready, Rose Quartz which opens the Heart. These stones have been used for thousands of years and their safety and healing benefits are time tested.
The most popular gemstone among beginners is Genuine Nephrite Jade , which we recommend starting your yoni egg practice with for the following reasons:
- On the physical level it is a very hard non porous stone and it won’t to break if you accidentally drop it while you are learning to practice with the yoni egg.
- It has a high thermal conductivity which means your body does not need to use a lot of energy to warm it up.
- Nephrite is a very healing stone for the physical body and especially for the female reproductive system.
- It’s energy is powerful while being gentle and protective. Jade shields the owner from negative outside energies. It can be worn by most women for long periods of time while nourishing, grounding and energizing her.
- Nephrite jade is a perfect choice if your intention is to do yoni egg exercises (it has a comfortable, solid weight for kegel exercises).
With proper care it is like a diamond ring that will last a lifetime!
Important: If you are buying a Jade egg make sure it is Nephrite and that it is certified – there are many fakes and stones made of lower quality pressed stone chip on the market.
It is our advice that you start the practice with jade – but if you feel called to work with a certain crystal or multiple crystals, by all means go for it! Even if it is your first yoni egg. It is your practice and no one will give you better advice than your own body and intuition.
Below we have included some qualities for each gemstone to help you chose.
You can play with choosing the crystal before reading anything about it’s qualities, simply based on your feelings. Afterwards read the description and see if you get an insight why you were drawn to the specific stone.
- Nephrite Jade – Communicates with the Heart chakra. The Jade egg helps connect our heart with our passion (second chakra and yoni). Nephrite jade energetically balances the water of the body and therefore is beneficial for the health of the entire organism, and especially for the kidneys and female reproductive system. It is a very grounding, calming, balancing and protective stone that promotes self love and well being.
- Rose Quartz – Often referred to as the Love Stone. Rose quartz corresponds strongly to the Heart chakra, it helps dissolve the barriers and blockages we have against feeling, giving and receiving the energy of love.
- Black Obsidian –Resonates with the root chakra. Obsidian is a very protective stone and a powerful ally for releasing trauma and emotions stored in the body, especially in the pelvis. It transmutes negative energy and helps treating certain ailments of the female physical body.
- Lilac Jadeite Jade (Jadeite and Nephrite are two distinct minerals that share the name Jade) – Resonates with Third Eye and Crown chakras and helps one to connect to spiritual knowledge and then ground these insights. This yoni egg has a very kind and gentle energy which encourages spontaneity and creativity. It is an excellent gemstone to use during meditation.
Important: Never use a crystal from a crystal shop that is not specifically sold as a Yoni Egg. Chemicals, dyes and artificial fillers are used during the manufacturing process of most decorative crystals sold on the market.
Drilled or Undrilled
Drilled Yoni Eggs have a small hole drilled through the narrow end. You may chose to put a string through it which allows for easy retrieval of the egg. Some yoni egg exercises are performed with a string. We recommend using unwaxed dental floss to string the egg. Drilled eggs can be used without a string as well.
Undrilled eggs are a little easier to clean. With the Undrilled egg you may not have an option to extract the egg as easily as you would with a string, but there is beauty in this too! The crystal will stay inside of you for as long as it needs to and will come out when it’s healing work is done. We encourage you to let go into trusting your body, trusting your intuition and trusting the process when practicing with the yoni egg. These gems are not just kegel weights – they can assist you on your path of spiritual transformation. Letting go is one of the hardest things to do for some of us, but is as difficult as it is important and rewarding. Don’t worry, it won’t get “lost”! There is no harm in wearing it for 24 hours or longer, and you can even have intercourse while it is inside of you.
If you need to release an unstringed yoni egg, you can do it safely by following these instructions. After a few weeks of practice you will learn to push it out by command using only your vaginal muscles.
Having difficulty deciding drilled vs undrilled? Tune into yourself for a moment and imagine how would you feel using drilled egg and undrilled egg, which one are you most comfortable with? There is no right or wrong choice to make.
Important: Never buy a crystal at a crystal shop that is not specifically sold as a Yoni Egg. During the manufacturing process for most crystals on the market harsh chemicals, dyes and artificial fillers are used.
Get your Yoni Egg!